If you are faced with the need to undergo cavity treatment, it is important to be aware of your options. Metal fillings are no longer the only option available. With advances in dentistry, you now have many aesthetically pleasing options to restore the strength, health, and appearance of your teeth. To see which cavity treatment is right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation at Dr. Dennis G. Sternberg's Freehold cosmetic dentistry practice.
Treatments for Cavities
There are many different options for treating cavities. The treatment you choose depends on your needs and desired results. The following are some of the top treatments available for cavities.
- Metal Fillings: Though metal fillings are not always the best aesthetic choice, they remain a popular treatment option for cavities. Gold fillings are extremely durable, lasting as long as 15 years. Silver fillings are both long-lasting and inexpensive, but have some downsides. Silver amalgam fillings tend to discolor the surrounding tooth, turning them a grayish tint, and are prone to expanding and contracting which can crack the filled tooth.
- Tooth-colored Fillings: Tooth-colored fillings using composite resin are a great alternative to metal fillings. Tooth-colored fillings are both durable and aesthetically pleasing. The composite resin used for tooth-colored fillings is not susceptible to expanding or contracting, so your teeth won't be at risk of cracking from your filling.
- Inlays and Onlays: Inlays and onlays are another tooth-colored option in cavity treatment. Inlays and onlays are made of either porcelain or composite resin for a flawless finish. Both treatments are very similar, but differ in the amount of coverage given and the area in which they are used. Inlays are used to treat smaller areas of decay within the cusps of the molars. Onlays are used to treat larger areas of decay, which may extend beyond more than one cusp.
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns are an excellent way to restore the strength of a tooth weakened by a large filling, while at the same time restoring the appearance of the tooth. Porcelain crowns are custom made to blend in shade and size with the surrounding teeth. For our patients in Freehold, dental crowns can also be used to save broken or chipped teeth.
In addition to restorations for tooth decay, we also offer cosmetic procedures, including:
- Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are tooth-shaped and colored shells bonded to the surface of the teeth. They are used to improve the overall appearance of your smile.
- Dental Bonding: Dental bonding is a treatment similar to porcelain veneers in that it can be used to mask cosmetic dental flaws. Dental bonding uses a composite resin in a putty-like form. This resin is applied and shaped directly on the teeth and then hardened for a beautiful, natural looking finish.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Sternberg
Don't settle for metal fillings! You can have your cavities treated with any number of tooth-colored options. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Sternberg to discuss which option is right for you.